White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are attractive for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that suit all kinds of home styles. Additionally, white works with just about any color, even as décor tastes transform over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s fine to be concerned that the sun might discolor them. This is particularly true if your home receives intense sunlight or faces south. It’s useful to know that not all window treatments are created the same. And that a few types of plantation shutters are more susceptible to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you painful sunburns. They’re also responsible for yellowing your white plantation shutters, especially if you have cheap or overseas-made shutters. These damaging rays can attack the protective coating over time. Once the coating is gone, the sun can damage the paint and cause it to look yellow.
Regular cleaning will help keep your shutters looking new. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much you can do to fix it. The best way to keep your shutters from yellowing is to invest in high-quality ones that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like a number of other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as durable as they initially look to be.
- They might not fit your windows very well. For top energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters must fit seamlessly against the window frame. Ready-made plantation shutters are usually not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management might as a result.
- They’re constructed from poor materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are made from low-quality materials, like vinyl and composite, and are frequently hollow. In addition to yellowing, they might also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to distortion, splitting or splintering.
- They’re thinly protected with low-quality paint. Inexpensive paint frequently contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These substances can be emitted by your shutters over time, resulting in headaches and eye and nasal irritation in a number of people. It’s also beneficial to know that poor-quality paint doesn’t always come with a protective UV coating, which could hasten the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what type of quality you will get with plantation shutters that are built overseas. They tend to be lower quality than ones that are made in the United States.
- They may demand frequent maintenance. Cheaply made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if pieces become loose or louvers begin to wilt. In some cases, you may not be able to fix sagging louvers if your shutters don’t have tension screws.
- They don’t provide a warranty.
Louver Shop of Charleston Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Charleston, we’ve been building our company on outstanding plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a good decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are alike, and your window treatments ought to reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can browse all your options up close. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll have the chance to fully custom-create your plantation shutters. And alongside our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a perfect fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from superior materials. Whether you select our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most classic look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We rely on an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look great but last for years.
- Our plantation shutters are colored with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Charleston plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also guaranteed against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters domestically in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they higher quality, this means you’ll also receive them much sooner, frequently within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are simple to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are protected by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Charleston plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also come with a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Charleston Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your sense of style. Finding the right ones means you’ll enjoy gorgeous shutters for years with hassle-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re sure to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Charleston by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.